Planning & Zoning

Ray Alt, Jackie Steinmetz


Grant County Planning and Zoning

For ALL Grant County Planning and Zoning forms, please see DOCUMENT CENTER.

Building permits are necessary and required when a new structure is being built or moved onto your premises. Even if your home is tax exempt under the farm residence exemption, you are still required to obtain a building permit for a new structure. A new structure is a home (stick built, modular or manufactured), garage, shed (anything over 120 square feet, even if it’s on skids), deck (there is no such thing as a “floating deck”. Unless you can fold it up like a lawn chair and take it with you, it’s a deck. It adds value to your property, and is taxable), patios, porches, and any additions to existing structures.

When applying for a building permit please refer to the Grant County Planning and Zoning ordinance and please apply for the permit AT LEAST TWO MONTHS before construction is to begin or the structure is to be moved onto the premises. All building applications must be approved by the Grant County Board of Planning and Zoning. The Planning and Zoning Board meets the second Thursday of each month. Once the submitted applications have been approved, an actual permit will be mailed to you. If, for some reason, your application is denied you will be contacted by my office with an explanation of the reason for the denial. Failure to obtain a building permit before building will result in a $500 fine.

Building permit applications and the Grant County Planning and Zoning Ordinances are available on the Grant County website or stop by either the Tax Director’s or Auditor’s office at the courthouse. There is a $15 fee upon the submission of the application.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation. If you have any questions please contact Ray Alt, Planning and Zoning Board Chairman, at 701-584-2143 or Jackie Steinmetz, Director of Tax Equalization, at 701-622-3311.

Please refer to the Grant County Planning and Zoning Ordinance with any zoning and planning questions, or call Ray Alt, Planning and Zoning Board Chairman, at 701-584-2143. The Planning and Zoning board meets the 2nd Thursday of each month at 9:00 AM MT. Building permits will be reviewed during these monthly meetings. Thank you!


© 2019 Grant County, ND 106 2nd Ave NE, Carson, North Dakota, Business hours: 8:00 AM - 12:00 PM and 12:30 PM - 4:00 PM Monday-Friday

Powered By Revize Login